The featured picture is essential to help readers decide to read. You can improve its impact by:
- Raising emotions. Which emotions are in sync with your story? Which emotions your story promises to overcome or to raise?
- Respecting readers. Not just your audience. Put yourself in different shoes.
- Choosing representative pictures. The picture, along with the title, carries promises too.
- Being classy. Don’t rush your search. Unusual related angles will stand out.
- Avoiding to distract the reader. You need a picture focused on the message.
- Caring about quality. The poor quality of the picture could tell that you don’t care.